Algonquian Indians, with their leader, Waban, and Rev. John Eliot, a Puritan minister, created the first “Praying Indian Town” in Massachusetts at a bend in the Charles River that they named “Natick” in 1651.
In 1901, folks in South Natick wanted speeches, poetry, and canoe races to celebrate the 4th of July and Natick’s 250th anniversary.
The men and women of South Natick supported the American Revolution.
The patriots of Natick “resolved” for independence in 1776, two weeks before the Declaration of Independence was approved in Philadelphia.
Abigail Smith, 17, rode through the night on April 18, 1775, to shout to her Natick neighbors: “The British are coming!”
Natick cobblers joined other Massachusetts shoemakers in leading the biggest pre-Civil War labor walkout in America.
Natick town center almost leveled by fire in 1874.
Natick’s Union Ladder Company won the title in 1892.
The current Eliot Church in South Natick is the fifth house of worship to stand on that spot since 1651.
In October 1859, after abolitionist John Brown’s raid on Harper’s Ferry, a Natick Observer editorial declared, “We call him [John Brown] a hero…”
In 1857 Thoreau rode to Natick to talk with Austin Bacon about trees and other local botanical delights.
A secret Natick wireless operation on Pegan Hill helped to win World War II.
In 1881 Oliver N. Bacon wrote a poem to celebrate the centennial of Natick’s incorporation as a town on February 19, 1781.
The 1925 Boston Marathon made headlines in The Natick Herald.
The old Natick Center train station is invisible after it was “buried’ in 1962, but it’s still there, behind the platform mural.